Bay Area BYCers!

I still have 4 girls but they are no where near as cuddly as the boys. I adopted the girls at an older age and they aren't used to being handle :( The roos I got at 8 weeks and constantly picked them up so I could when they were older. I didn't know they were roos when I got them so I got way too attached early. I just liked cuddling them! My little coop is best for 4, I only got the 2 extra girls to replace the boys when the time came so I was a bit over capacity. Going to have to wait a few years before I can get new pullets or....expand #chickenmath
I'm going through a similar issue now. I feel your pain. It sucks. A lot. I'm trying to find my extra boy a home, but I have a feeling he's going to have to be culled.

Hi everyone!

Two of our three adorable 10-week-old female silkie serama chicks turned out to be roos. We are going to keep one but can’t keep both, and we are really hoping the other can go to an awesome home nearby.

This tiny little guy, who we’ve called Bowie, is a super sweetheart. He has lived indoors in a brooder thus far during the nights and has spent his days in a covered/enclosed run with his flock mates. He seems very healthy and strong, with a teeny tiny serama crow. He is almost 6 ounces now and will grow to between 6-10" tall and likely less than 16 ounces.

Please let me know ASAP if you have a safe and loving home for Bowie! We need to find him a new home asap.
signal-2022-08-28-105000_002.jpeg
signal-2022-08-27-094337_002.jpeg
signal-2022-08-26-072821.jpeg

If anybody has a Sumatra or blue andalusian rooster of cockerel... I'm interested in taking him off your hands. I can't find any around here.

Hi everyone!

Two of our three adorable 10-week-old female silkie serama chicks turned out to be roos. We are going to keep one but can’t keep both, and we are really hoping the other can go to an awesome home nearby.

This tiny little guy, who we’ve called Bowie, is a super sweetheart. He has lived indoors in a brooder thus far during the nights and has spent his days in a covered/enclosed run with his flock mates. He seems very healthy and strong, with a teeny tiny serama crow. He is almost 6 ounces now and will grow to between 6-10" tall and likely less than 16 ounces.

Please let me know ASAP if you have a safe and loving home for Bowie! We need to find him a new home asap.
signal-2022-08-28-105000_002.jpeg
signal-2022-08-27-094337_002.jpeg
signal-2022-08-26-072821.jpeg
Welcome to BYC. Where do you live?

Hi folks, I'm hoping to rehome a couple lovely boys! These good gentlemen are from eggs from Piner Road Farm in Santa Rosa, and are from their black copper marans, olive egger & easter egger flocks. They were hatched (6/12/22) and reared by my broody hen, Twitter, and as such have excellent manners in my small flock. My son (11) & I are very hand on, and have taken great care to accustom them to people.

My city doesn't allow roosters; I've put crow collars on the obvious boys in order to buy some time to find them good homes.

Now onto the young gentlemen in question!

This is Earl Grey (or sometimes EG Tea). He's got wonderful floofy cheeks, pretty draping feathers and some lovely cream/beige highlights. He has an easy demeanor, doesn't make any trouble in the flock, and would *absolutely* be on my keep list if I could.
IMG_20220911_174446239.jpg IMG_20220911_163706192.jpg IMG_20220911_163822934.jpg IMG_20220911_174537774.jpg IMG_20220911_191737614.jpg
He's perching on the old brooder enclosure with his sibling, Uno, who I desperately hope is a hen. I have worries though! 😅

This is Catra (yep like in She-ra; my kids get to name lots of our critters!). He's strikingly handsome! Certainly the tallest of our birds, and has some gorgeous blue & green opalescent feather. Catra isn't aggressive, but is absolutely watchful! We had a hawk pass over the yard and he was the one making all the alert noises. Also in a crow collar at present, it tousles his sleek look just a tiny bit. 😉

IMG_20220911_174334085.jpg IMG_20220911_174335341.jpg IMG_20220911_174326198.jpg IMG_20220911_174318032.jpg IMG_20220911_174021543.jpg IMG_20220911_174009272.jpg IMG_20220910_083236043.jpg

Both these boys are so charming, I would really like to see them go to good homes. I'm happy to deliver them to you if you're in the region! Thanks for taking the time to have a look 🥰

Hi all - I don't think I knew until today that there was a Bay Area specific thread (maybe I did and forgot?) and had been just posting on the NorCal thread. I've got that age-old problem of accidental cockerels in Oakland - two sweet Easter Eggers hatched 8/24/22 who need new homes. They'd be happy in a bachelor flock together, or with their own flocks. I've posted on Facebook and Craigslist with no leads so far. I know about Mike's Feed Store, but would prefer to meet the new owner myself if possible. I've also heard Pescadero Feed Store does a little more vetting than Mike's, so I'm keeping as back-up if I get desperate.

I'm happy to drive up to an hour to drop them off/meet half-way for a happy home/s for them.

Both have been handled daily since we got them as babies. They've been within sight of our 3 hens for a while now but initial attempts at integration went poorly, and since confirming they're both boys, I haven't bothered to put them all together - they're still in a look don't touch set-up, and the boys are still afraid of my hens (for good reason).

Cuddle Bug (light gray with red wings) seems to be alpha at the moment - he's a little more skittish and protests being picked up, but calms down pretty quickly when I hold him/does trust me. He has just entered the honking/adolescent crow phase.

Storm Cloud (darker gray with white body) still sounds like a chick for the moment and is more trusting of me - doesn't protest when picked up.

Sorry for the crummy pictures - I have a really hard time getting good photos of them, but if anyone wants to see more, I will try again! They do have lovely full cheeks at this point - not so apparent from the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpeg
    IMG_1626.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1624.jpeg
    IMG_1624.jpeg
    686.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    848.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi all - I don't think I knew until today that there was a Bay Area specific thread (maybe I did and forgot?) and had been just posting on the NorCal thread. I've got that age-old problem of accidental cockerels in Oakland - two sweet Easter Eggers hatched 8/24/22 who need new homes. They'd be happy in a bachelor flock together, or with their own flocks. I've posted on Facebook and Craigslist with no leads so far. I know about Mike's Feed Store, but would prefer to meet the new owner myself if possible. I've also heard Pescadero Feed Store does a little more vetting than Mike's, so I'm keeping as back-up if I get desperate.

I'm happy to drive up to an hour to drop them off/meet half-way for a happy home/s for them.

Both have been handled daily since we got them as babies. They've been within sight of our 3 hens for a while now but initial attempts at integration went poorly, and since confirming they're both boys, I haven't bothered to put them all together - they're still in a look don't touch set-up, and the boys are still afraid of my hens (for good reason).

Cuddle Bug (light gray with red wings) seems to be alpha at the moment - he's a little more skittish and protests being picked up, but calms down pretty quickly when I hold him/does trust me. He has just entered the honking/adolescent crow phase.

Storm Cloud (darker gray with white body) still sounds like a chick for the moment and is more trusting of me - doesn't protest when picked up.

Sorry for the crummy pictures - I have a really hard time getting good photos of them, but if anyone wants to see more, I will try again! They do have lovely full cheeks at this point - not so apparent from the photos.
Handsome boys you've got! I had good luck rehoming mine at Close Feed in Hayward. The owner doesn't always have cage space open, but when he does he's happy to help. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom